The Music Production Diploma is a practical, industry-relevant course, that provides students with the skills required to start a career in the music business. This programme includes training in the operation of modern sound equipment and music technology.
Taught by music industry specialists and professional producers, the course gives students one of the most rounded and intensive practical programmes currently available. Students graduate equipped with a broad skill set that allows them to launch their entertainment career or follow further academic pursuits within this discipline.
The Diploma in Music Production provides the necessary foundation for pursuing an undergraduate degree in the field of Music Production.
COURSE SCHEDULE: Students will receive up to 120 Hours of Classroom theoretical and hands-on practical instruction. 6 hours per week for 20 weeks. Another 4 weeks will be given for student to produce a final project.
Through a series of music business projects, you will learn how to:
- Release a professional music single/compilation/album
- Design the creative concept for the CD insert
- Design a marketing plan for your album release
- Organize gigs and live shows.
- Produce a music video in support of your music release.
- Apply knowledge of complex analogue and digital audio systems.
AIM’s state-of-the-art facilities provide the students with unparalleled access to world-class equipment and software.
The equipment includes:
- An acoustically treated studio
- Various types of studio microphones
- C|24 DAW workstation
- Three computer labs with Macs and PCs
AIM has invested in industry standard software:
- Pro tools
- Ableton live
There are plenty of career opportunities available to you in the field of music, whether your interest lies within live sound and show production, entertainment business or audio production and engineering. The music industry has evolved immensely over the past decade with technology becoming a core aspect of production and distribution. This has introduced several new career options for you to explore.
Thanks to the advancement of technology in music production you will be able to record, mix, and master music at a professional caliber at an affordable rate. You can also harness and practice your skills from the comfort of your own home.
As a music producer, you will spend your day:
- Meeting with the recording artist and deciding on the arrangement and the overall theme of the song.
- Deciding on what instruments or equipment to be used.
- Recording the instrument and the voice separately.
- Completing the mixing and mastering of the record with the help of an engineer.
- Looking for financial backing for the project and negotiating with the distributors of the record.
Who will be your employers?
There are many options open to you as a trained music producer inside and outside music. If you choose to follow a music career, you may have to take on several roles with different employers and work on both a freelance and contract basis. For example, you could combine teaching with freelance performance work, as well as doing contract work on particular projects.
Employers include a range in the cultural and creative industries:
- Music production companies
- Music retailers
- Media organizations – including music magazines and licensing bodies
- Music schools and colleges
- Orchestras and touring companies
- Travel industry companies e.g. Hotels, summer camps
- Mental healthcare providers and charitable organizations
- The armed forces
- Content producers including film and gaming companies
Below are some careers to consider as a graduate of AIM. This is not an exhaustive list. It is also important to understand that creating a successful career in music, entertainment & the performing arts, also involves having multiple skills across various areas.
- Music Producer
- Song Writer
- Recording Engineer
- Record/Music Producer
- Sound Designer
- Instrument Tech/Specialist
- Live Sound Engineer
- Sound Mixer
- Recording Studio Manager
1-2 years (2-4 Semesters) – Applicants must have the WASSCE/SSCE Certificate (with passes)
Basic computer proficiency is required. Attach certificates to your application.
Each course has its own specific requirements. Please enquire from the administration what requirements apply to the course of your choice.